Saturday, January 07, 2006

Brooke's stay in Japan

So I haven't updated at all about Brooke's visit in Japan. And I probably won't since she summed it up so well on her blog (click the link on the side panel to check it out).
I will however post a picture of the two of us just to prove that she really was here!


Ohh that seems like so long ago now!
I'm getting organized to leave Singapore tomorrow. My initial plan was to leave today but I hadn't quite finished the revisions I wanted to do on my thesis, so I decided I ought to stick it out until they were done.

Singapore has been really nice. I've managed to meet lots of colourful Aussies and Brits in my few nights at the hostel. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I ran into some of them again since many seem to be headed in the same direction as me.
I also managed to fit in some sightseeing around all my thesis work.


I went on a night safari two days ago that was pretty cool. Basically you sneak around on all these jungle trails and watch the nocturnal animals as they are waking up for the night. The animals aren't 'wild' but their pens are really big and often there is only a moat between you and them. Pretty intimate really.
Lots of big cats, rhinos, snakes, bats and flying squirrels.

The other sightseeing highlight was the Bird Park. Actually, my official opinion on the bird park was mixed. What I had read about it before I got there led me to believe it was more of a bird sanctuary that was devoted to conservation etc etc. But it was still a zoo-like facility that has a 'collection' of bird prisoners. The 'collection' was very impressive, but I much prefer to see birds in the wild. They also had a large aviary with the largest man-made waterfall in the world. That was cool.

Ohh yah, I also went to Sentosa Island which is just outside the city. The self-proclaimed southern most point in mainland Asia..



So tomorrow I make for Malaysia and the Highlands.... the Cameron Highlands to be exact! Whenever I've had to tell anyone my name here they inevitably say ' Cameron?... like the Highlands?'. Yes - like the Highlands.
I may actually stay in Kuala Lumpur for the night and try and arrange a guide of some sort for some jungle trekking. There is also a National Park area called Taman Negara that is good for treks so I don't know where I'll go first.
But if you don't here from me for a few days - that'll be why!

I've got my loincloth all ready to go.

1 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Blogger Mina said...

Nice, nice!
I want to be warm too :P
Hahaha, I got my key back from Satomi. And the basket of stuff that (I think) is mine. Thank you thank you :) And if I accidentally took someone else's gift, eerrrr... thank them too :P Heehee ^^
Have fun trekking =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home