Tuesday, January 03, 2006

From winter to summer in 7 hours

So I made it safely to Singapore.
After freezing my hiney off in Japan for the past couple weeks, the 30 degree weather is a welcomed relief.
I showed up here wearing two long sleeve shirts and a puffy vest, but now I'm sitting comfortably in shorts and a sleeveless shirt.
Singapore seems amazing (although I haven't seen much yet!). There are gardens and little waterfalls all over the place and the weather today is clear and not too humid.
My flight arrived last night just after midnight (and thus just after all the public transport shuts down). Rather than spend the price of two nights accommodation on taxi fare I found some ridiculously uncomfortable benches and attempted to sleep for a few hours. You can tell these are designed to be uncomfortable so bums like me don't try and get a free night's stay, but I showed them. Ohh yes. Who's laughing now?! I don't know if I was woken up more by the discomfort of the chairs or by the paranoia of having my bags ripped off.
Being the deep sleeper that I am, I rigged up an intricate configuration of bag straps such that the only way someone could take my bags was if I came with them. But of course this added to the discomfort since once I was strapped in I couldn't move around at all, and my hips are still bruised from all my futon sleeping in Japan.
I managed to sleep in periodic intervals for about 6 hours and then I made my way to the tourist info station at the airport. They called ahead to a backpacker's hostel which I was able to check into and lock my gear up this morning.
Wow, Japan seems like an incredible rip off now. I'm paying about $9-10 Canadian a night at this place and it includes breakfast! Nice and comfy too.
I still haven't seen much of the town, but I'm about to head in search of food so I'm sure that will lead me to some interesting places.
I've decided to make my travels an culinary tour. I will sample food from all areas of town and compare region to region. Hopefully my bachelor years of eating food beyond its expiry will prepare my stomach for an onslaught the unfamiliar. If not, there's always the anti-diarrhea's.
Alright, I've got to peace out. I didn't come to SE Asia to sit at a computer.
I'm alive, I'm safe and I'm happy - hope you can say the same for yourselves!
TTFN.

2 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Blogger Cameron said...

hey man! I tried to call you earlier. I'll try again tomorrow - it's been way to long!
This week has been maybe a little less sweet than it could be... still finishing off my thesis(again). I finished another copy I'm sending in right now so I won't have to do anything for a couple days anyways!Peace

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Cameron said...

wow, Caitlin. Thanks for that advice. I'll make sure I get on only boats that are 'right'.
So far no problems, but the taxi drivers sure are pushy. Even when you tell them you only are walking one block they won't leave you alone.
Love you! talk to you soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home