Monday, November 28, 2005

A post card from my mind


Hello from the inside of my brain. Wish you were here! Actually, you are here. Not in the physical sense of course, but I'm sure there are some connections in here somewhere the represent you and all my memories associated with you.
So this is what I do now... I look at brains.
My research here in Japan involves doing functional MRI scans of the brain during different movements to see what areas of the brain are activated. Naturally I used myself as my first test subject to make sure both the apparatus and procedure were in order. Since then I've been processing the data and struggling with stats to determine if the activation of a particular area is 'statistically significant'.
I have now run 15 subjects through my experiment. Tomorrow I will do two more and that will be it for MRI data. After that I will analyze the 360 scans I did for each subject and write me thesis. I just realize I have under 1 month to do this! I may have to start working on the weekends a bit more.If I was already pro at doing all the MRI analysis, then I'd probably have loads of time. But I'm not. I'm learning as I go, which is both good and bad.

It's taking me a lot of time, but hopefully I know what I'm doing by the end of it!
There is seriously something trippy about looking at your own brain...
You should all feel very flattered that I'm sharing something this personal. haha.
This side view is weird. The mouth area is all blacked out because I have a metal orthodontic bar behind my lower front teeth. I completely forgot it was there until I looked at these pictures later! When you go into the scanner, you have to remove all metal items (especially if they are magnetic metals). You also want to make sure you don't take your wallet in there. A couple of guys here have forgotten and then had to get EVERY card replaced because they demagnetized! My second time I went in I forgot I had a key on me until I felt something tugging at my pocket.
Ohh the joys of powerful magnets. I think when they introduce magnetism to people in school they should do some demonstrations using these things. If you move a non-magnetic sheet of metal in the magnetic field you can actually feel the directions of the field lines. It's a pretty damn expensive toy, but it's awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home