Thursday, February 09, 2006

My first 'Malaria Zone' - only there weren't any mosquitoes!


After Bangkok I made my way to Northern Thailand to do some trekking. I had made sure to find some anti-malaria pills as soon as I could to get ready for the N.Thailand/Cambodia danger zones. But I really don't think I needed them!

I did have one bite. And I heard at least one other mosquito buzzing around, but that was pretty much it.

Probably I'm just really sour! Some French-Canadian girls I met were covered in bites. I guess their blood tasted better. Must be all that poutine - makes your blood thick and tasty.

The trekking was cool. We had a local guide who grew up in one of the hilltribe villages that we visited so he spoke the local dialect and had some interesting stories about growing up.


He even let us sample some of the fruits of his labour - frogs! He caught them, skinned them and then dried them over the fire. They didn't taste too bad actually - just like really crispy chicken.



After our group polished off the meal our guide cooked (over a fire!) - we sat by the fire and relaxed. The stars were so amazing! We were really out in the middle of nowhere - the village didn't have electricity except for a few houses with solar panels. A couple dogs came and sat with us since it was pretty cool once the sun had gone down.
I loved visiting the village. It was so peaceful and relaxed - but I could never live there! Our guide was saying that most young people will still live in the village for a few months of the year and then spend the rest of the time working in the cities or towns.

For Thailand, this waterfall was surprisingly cold - but it was still much warmer than any I've felt back home! At this point of my trip I needed the high pressure shower so I stayed in nice and long.

I was undecided about the whole elephant riding thing to begin with, but now having done it I really don't think I need to do it again. I mean it was cool and all - but they don't treat the elephants very well - and it just seems wrong to see such large majestic animals with metal chains around their necks. I'm curious as to how well they feed them too - it seems like all the elephants ate was the bananas and sugar cane that they sell the tourists to 'make friendly with elephant'.

Another great way to feel like a tourist - go bamboo rafting! I thought it was fun, but mostly cause I was helping drive through all the rapids and past all the rocks. And I got a great deal of extra amusement from the fact that my guide's name was Dong and we were riding the Wang River... I know I know, my mind's in the gutter!

Next stop... Cambodia!

1 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Cameron said...

Yup back in Japan... which means back to work :P
It's a hard transition! I'm trying to collect a bit more EMG data and do some more analysis before I return to Canada - hopefully it'll turn out better! Bye!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home